"Health and success in school are interrelated. Schools cannot achieve their primary mission of education if students and staff are not healthy and fit physically, mentally, and socially." - National Association of State Boards of Education
District 303 Elementary
Elementary Physical Education provides the foundation in developing lifelong physical, mental and emotional skills as well as the basic knowledge of the wellness needed to embrace a healthy lifestyle. Research supports that healthy, active children have the potential to be better learners. A healthy body fuels a healthy mind.
District 303 students will...
- Appreciate the importance of being active
- Demonstrate the physical skills and movement concepts necessary to be active
- Understand the importance of proper nutrition, overall wellness of the body (body systems, muscles, bones)
- Develop problem solving and decision making skills, good sportsmanship and team building skills
- Develop goal-setting skills while understanding the importance of self-assessment
- Identify the fitness components (Cardiovascular Endurance, Muscular Endurance, Muscular Strength, Body Composition, Flexibility)
- Identify the wellness factors (Exercise, Nutrition, Sleep, Healthy Choices)
The Elementary Physical Education Curriculum has been designed to help elementary physical education professionals develop and implement a program that best meets the needs of their student population.
District 303 Elementary
Health & Wellness
The goal of District 303 Health/Wellness Curriculum is to provide elementary school students a comprehensive Health/Wellness instruction to be integrated into the Physical Education Curriculum weekly.
The Elementary Health/Wellness Program of District 303 will…
- Instruct students on the principles and components necessary for health/related fitness.
- Use self-assessment to influence personal health.
- Provide an individual the opportunity to be responsible for their own actions while working independently or in a group.
- Promote a healthy lifestyle for self and others.
- Become familiar with the functions of the body systems and how they are directly related to one’s individual choices.
- Learn that growth and development naturally occur at individual rates.
- Use effective communication and decision-making skills in making choices that will impact themselves and others.
Students need a clean pair of gym shoes in order to safely participate in class. Please make sure your child has a clean pair of gym shoes that STAY in their cubby for P.E. class only. The following shoes are not allowed due to safety reasons:
- Sandals/Flip Flops